Friday, November 11, 2011
Nobody is Self-Made
Of course nobody is truly self-made. We have all had help and that is clear. But why do we choose to remember all that Lincoln didn't have? Everybody knows about the log cabin and the rail-splitting. But why don't as many people know about his step-mother? I am fascinated by that relationship but you never hear about it the way you hear about the bad parts of Lincoln's life. I understand that it is more interesting to hear a rags to riches type of story, but I wonder why as many people aren't interested in Lincoln's relationship with his step-mother. Not many people have had a parent who was as encouraging and inspiring as it sounds like she was. I think this played a big role in Lincoln's self-education and success. I wonder how successful Lincoln would have been if his step-mother never came into his life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment