Sunday, November 6, 2011
Lincoln as a Self-Made Man
I was interested in our discussion the other day about whether Lincoln would have been elected President today, having no formal education. I agree that America would not elect someone without a college education to be President. However, if Lincoln had existed today, I think maybe he would have a college degree. Today, the idea of a "self-made man" often involves working really hard in school to get a scholarship to college. Lincoln probably would have been able to go to college today, maybe through scholarships and loans. I thought Jamie made a good point in class when she said that it was contradictory how although we idealize the "self-made man", we probably wouldn't elect somebody who was self-educated the way Lincoln was. I think we only appreciate self-made men if they follow a certain path. We want self-made men to choose to go to college and get a good job. If somebody else's idea of a self-made man is living off the grid, or working a minimum wage job, we don't celebrate that, even though it may have been "self-made" (they came to it on their own, didn't get help achieving it from anybody else).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Really good points. It seems like even though our society is changing, we keep idealizing the type of self-made man Lincoln was. The person we make Lincoln out to be probably could never exist, especially not in present times. I'm all for encouraging people to work hard and be the best they can be, but I think we take it to far and always expect to be able to succeed in everything we do, so long as we try hard enough. This becomes dangerous when most of us inevitably fail, and we blame ourselves.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, did you wind up writing your paper about Lincoln as a self-made man? If so, I did too, and we should maybe chat about it!
I did! Let's definitely chat about it :)
ReplyDelete