In addition to campaigning for Thanksgiving as a national holiday and writing famous nursery rhymes, she held some interesting political views. She was opposed to women's suffrage because she believed women could influence male voters in their own ways. From what I read, it seems like she believed women's place was in the home, but that they could be powerful and important there. She was, however, a big proponent of higher education for women. I just did some quick internet research on this figure but I found her really interesting. Does anyone know anything about Sarah Josepha Hale?
I've never heard of her, but she has an interesting view on women's suffrage. I wonder if she had in mind specifically wives influencing their husbands, or groups of women influencing groups of men. I wonder why she disliked the idea of women influencing men while having their own vote, too...
ReplyDelete