Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mary Todd's Portrayal in Gore Vidal's "Lincoln"

I may be alone in this, but I actually thought Mary Todd's portrayal in Gore Vidal's "Lincoln" was much more sympathetic than in the last two films. This seems to be the first film to acknowledge that she most likely suffered from a mental illness. The others just portrayed her as having all of these personality flaws without any explanation. Also, there was one bit of dialogue that really stuck out to me. Mary Todd is with the handmiaden who says something to the effect of, "The newspapers don't portray you accurately at all", and Mary responds "Nobody does" (this is all paraphrased). I thought that maybe this was an acknowledgement of how Mary Todd has been seen as unlikeable and mean, and viewed unsympathetically throughout history. Did anybody else think this? In any case, I found that dialogue to be very sad, and I felt sympathetic toward Mary Todd.

1 comment: